why a gap year

I spent the second semester of my junior year of high school attending the School for Ethics and Global Leadership located in Washington, DC. I lived with 23 other students from across the United States for 4 months while we looked at ethical dilemmas occurring around the world along with our own personal morals. It was the most challenging, yet gratifying experience I have done so far. It was a once in a life time opportunity, for how many other 16 year olds can say they’ve presented papers to the state department or written speeches to be critiqued by top Washington politicians? However, it was also four months of no privacy or space for reflection, and constantly having to be thinking, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. It showed me exactly how impactful 4 months can be.

SEGL showed me the importance of experiential learning. There is such a difference between reading about something on a page in a textbook versus speaking to someone who has lived it. I have always been interested in other cultures, especially those starkly different to my own. I learned that in order to truly appreciate another culture or lifestyle, I have to live it completely.

Out of our numerous speakers, one girl in particular stood out to me. She had taken a “bridge year”, as she called it, between high school and college to work in a small village in Senegal. As she recounted her many stories working in this village, from the relationships she formed with her host families, to the isolation she felt being so far from home, to how different the food was, I was entranced. She spoke about how much more she was getting out of college Before this, the idea of a gap year had never truly occurred to me, but suddenly I couldn’t get it out of my head. To me, the question morphed from why to why not. I have always been interested in social justice and community service, having spent several summers tutoring the same group of kids. I have a basic understanding of Spanish, but I want to become proficient. I am completely enamored with South American culture, in particular the importance of family.

One of SEGL’s numerous mottos is “change yourself, change the world.” They preach the importance of developing personal morals. They made me examine my values in a way I had never considered. This introspective journey is far from complete, nor do I think it will ever be truly finished. However, I do believe that in order to fully take advantage of college, I need to spend more time on this journey. Right now, if I were go to college at this moment, I feel it would be because it is the next step that is expected of me I do not doubt I could get by, but I want to thrive there. I want to go to college not because it is expected, but because I want to. I think that TBB is the next step to ensure this.

Comments

  1. Ellie, God speed as you embark on this new journey! Most adults don't know themselves half as well as you seem to know yourself, and I know your parents are so proud of your maturity and outlook. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you on your voyage of self-discovery and global awareness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts